The Tendering Engineer will be responsible for administration of allocated tenders dealing with all commercial and estimating activities associated with Client’s tender requirements and all associated subcontract and supplier requirements from receipt of tender enquiry through to contract award and consequent handover to operations or loss of tender and Client debrief.
Focal point for cost estimating - providing support to the tender / project teams and the wider business on all estimating matters and supporting the development and ongoing use of estimating/costing systems
Contributes to the execution of functional objectives.
Key interactions (internally, externally):
Internal: Tender Assurance Lead, Tendering Co-Ordinator, Tendering Manager, Tendering Director, Project Management, Operations, Engineering, QHSE, Planning, Cost Control, Supply Chain, Risk Management, Finance, Legal & Contract Specialists, .
External: Client, Subcontractors & Suppliers.
Job Scope (budget, management, specific criteria):
- Responsible for managing all commercial aspects of allocated Client tenders and Budget Proposals including all associated subcontracts and supplier proposals in accordance with Company procedures, processes and systems.
- Prepare and manage tender plan in conjunction with allocated Tender / Project Manager to ensure all defined deliverables are managed within agreed timeframes,
- Ensure all key progress and approvals meeting are held and minuted with appropriate attendees throughout the tender process. including, but not limited to: Tender Kick-Off, Progress review, Risk review, Cost and Contingency review, Qualifications Review, Tender Approval, Clarifications, Sign Approval, and Project Handover.
- Prepare all internal tender process approval documents throughout the tendering phase and ensure approvals are made in a timely manner and in accordance with approved Power Reserve List.
- Prepare detailed and accurate cost estimate of defined technical solution(s) including contingency and risk provisions in conjunction with Tender / Project Manager.
- Ensure internal onshore personnel, spoolbase costs, offshore spreads (vessels, equipment and personnel) costs are fully identified, confirmed and included in the cost estimate.
- Ensure appropriate tax, currency hedging and cashflow requirements are defined and included for within the cost estimate and/or qualifications, with necessary finance approvals.
- Maintain up to date and comprehensive Clarification Registers for Client and subcontractors.
- Perform appropriate commercial reviews including interface with Legal and Contracts for contractual reviews as required.
- Reporting of Cost of Non-Performance including Non-Conformances, and Lessons Learned to Tendering Manager and Tender Assurance Lead throughout the tender and record into the relevant software systems.
- Co-ordination and delivery of department initiatives and objectives as required by Tender Assurance Lead or Tendering Manager,
- Provide guidance, assistance and support to less experienced commercial personnel and the wider business in general.
- Manage internal reporting of status on allocated commercial and contractual issues for allocated tenders in accordance with company procedures, processes and systems such as Tender Status Report.
- Other appropriate tasks as may be directed by the Tendering Manager or Tender Assurance Lead from time to time.
- Agree points of contact with Client on tender submission requirements and clarifications to ensure consistent communications plan is established and maintained and accurate formal communication log is administered by Tender Coordinator.
- Prepare commercial deliverables and liaise with Legal and Contracts for contractual deliverables for inclusion in Client tender submissions: generally commercial qualifications, contractual qualifications, Vessel Notification mechanism, Price schedule, Milestone payment plan and Cancellation schedule.
- Provision of Commercial representation at Client tender clarification meetings as required.
Subcontract Management Responsibilities
- Define and manage the procurement plan for the tender and ensure subcontractors and suppliers are managed using the relevant Company systems and tools throughout the tendering phase.
- Propose procurement strategies to reduce costs and optimise schedules where required.
- Prepare the corresponding ITT package and manage the bid process including expediting receipt of bids, clarification, commercial & contractual evaluation, risk analysis, recommendation for inclusion in UKBU final tender, ensuring input and review by all appropriate stakeholders and management.
- Ensure all third-party costs are fully identified, confirmed and included in the cost estimate.
- Ensure only qualified suppliers are recommended and initiate the supplier qualification process where necessary.
- Draft the proposed subcontract for inclusion in ITT package where appropriate.
- Participate in all relevant subcontractor and supplier meetings where agenda relates to commercial and contractual matters, including cost and schedule in order to be aware of all project activities which may affect the contractual position and exposure to risks.
- Resolve contractual positions with subcontractors and suppliers where required.
- Foster smooth and effective working relationships with subcontractors and suppliers and ensure performance feedback reports are completed in the appropriate systems (e.g., Supplier Management System, FPAL, etc.).
Post Contract Award Responsibilities (on secured awards)
- Ensure proper and timely handover of all relevant commercial and contractual documents to Operations and execution Project Manager following Client award of contract and at signature of contract as required.
- Establish project details in the Contracts Workspace to define As-Won tender baseline.
- Ensure all agreed deviations from Group contractual and financial principles are fully signed as soon as practical and not later than prior to signature of Client contract.
- Ensure any changes to the agreed As-Won position are agreed by management and communicated to the Project Manager and included in the final signed contract and internal handover.
- Ensure Client contract document is duly executed and distributed.
- Provide post award clarification on the As-Won position to the Project Manager, Senior Contracts Manager and Operations Contracts Engineer as required.
Typical background and experience required:
- High standard of written and spoken English.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision and direction.
- Experience in a commercial environment performing a similar role which demonstrates exposure to the key commercial concepts in relation to commercial risk management with specific emphasis on tendering activities.
- Knowledge of estimating techniques for the oil and gas industry and demonstrable knowledge and experience of estimating tools
- Knowledge of contractual terms and conditions and ability to negotiate same with Clients and Suppliers.
- Technical and practical understanding of engineering, procurement, construction, and installation methods and techniques as applicable to the oil and gas industry.
- Demonstrable high level of competence in the discharge of such commercial and contractual duties.
- Ability to work under pressure, prioritise workload and meet stringent deadlines, often necessitating additional hours being worked
- Able to work within and contribute in a motivated and professional environment.
- Self-motivated and persistent.
- Nice to have:
- Experience in offshore / subsea related industrial environment.
- Professional or undergraduate degree level qualification in Quantity Surveying, Business Administration / Management, Purchasing or Legal discipline
- Directly contribute to Company’s activities to secure contracts and new business opportunities by effective definition and tender management of project cost, commercial obligations and risk exposure ensuring a suitable risk / reward profile is agreed with Client.
- Liaise with Legal & Contracts to ensure contractual terms and conditions are prepared and collated as part of tender submission
- Responsible for all aspects of the preparation and presentation of estimates
- Generate cashflow schedule, milestone payment and contract cancellation schedules.
- Maintain databases for cost benchmarking/norms/tools including formal feedback loops with Operations and Commercial Leads
- Ensure all responsibilities are executed in strict compliance with relevant company policies, processes and procedures and in accordance with Company Group Values.
- Ensure appropriate and relevant estimating, cost and commercial support is provided to the Tendering / Project Manager and throughout the tendering phase.
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with Client, Subcontractors and Suppliers throughout the tendering phase.
- Manage commercial risks on tenders to ensure risks are identified early and either eliminated or managed appropriately by the Tendering / Project Manager during the preparation and clarification phases of the tender process.
- Support Tendering / Project Manager in developing and define the cost base, contingency, competitor analysis and risk provision for the technical solution.
- Ensure active management of all Tender Clarifications on allocated tender with respect to Client, Subcontractors and Suppliers.
- Demonstrate ability to plan own workload and be able to use initiative to prioritise key tasks and solve problems.
- Ability to execute all aspects of the roles and responsibilities with some direction and supervision.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of commercial and contractual processes and procedures and Group Operating principles, standard and values. Able to impart this knowledge and share with others within and out with Commercial function.
- Ability to work on individual basis, as part of a team as the situation merits.
- Ability to make improvements to business processes and procedures.